Friday, June 21, 2013

Part IIX: Cape Town; Cape Point



I drove south through the park and made my way out of the wilderness.  The land became great hills, almost mountainous.  Rows and rows of wrapped banana trees, tea plantations and grid-planted evergreens carpeted over and down the slopes.  I became reaccustomed to South African traffic: a continual passing and gaining of everyone on everyone else.  Reminded me of India, but this was tame compared to the triple-lane games of chicken trucks would force me into on the old N-17 on India’s western coast.  I snacked on springbok jerky and followed the signs south to the airport in Nelspruit.

“Well Hello, Indiana Jones,” the ticket agent said, full of south African lilt. I laughed.

“Any non-stops to Cape Town?”
“Just missed it, I can connect you through Joburg?”

“Sounds good, let’s do it.”

I had a couple hours to kill before my flight to Joburg.  And I started to think how all my time in South Africa had really been among other tourists and animals.  I was going to Cape Town now, and being from anywhere else, all I heard about was violence and crime. 

Fear is a funny kind of trip, a very convincing seriousness, most often unjust - a precaution.  But, none of us get out of this circus alive, so most all fear is a waste of energy, building for us a pile of regret:  the un-attempted adventures.  Wonderful dreams, unrealized, become a disease.  I wonder: do people become bitter because of the weighty obligations that befall them, or because of the wonderful things those burdens hold them from?  Is it too much to say all ill and evil is rooted in the good once had, possibly had, taken away or unrealized - only dreamed?  Regret is looking backwards, fear is looking forwards and I see them working together, being really only one thing, pinning us from potential. 

I’ll let no flimsy feeling convince me of shadows and safety.  And besides, when they finally make the movie, it’ll need a good ending so I figure I got to go out and find it.

That all being said, there is the worried day-dream of getting mugged.  Maybe I should buy a knife, just in case.  Do I really know how to handle a knife?  Quick legs are probably always a better bet.  Still, it makes you wonder, especially considering the Oscar case that has ballooned this spring in South Africa. . .

Only one way to find out.

I got into Cape Town late, too dark to really see anything.  I rented a car and headed south on the highway into Cape Town. 

New Orleans has Bourbon street, Montreal has St. Catherine’s street, Vancouver has Granville, and Cape Town has Long Street.  If you took a map of Cape Town and took a slash along one of the center streets, you’d probably hit Long street.  It is a stretch of bars, hostels, shops, cafes restaurants, but mostly bars.  I had not really planned to hit the party scene in South Africa.  To be honest, it hadn’t really crossed my mind.  I checked into the Long Street Backpacker’s hostel, got changed and went out.  Live music and every place was packed.  This was not a place to fear, it was a city like any other, a place to have fun.

The next day, I hoped to go to Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned, but tickets were sold out for a couple of days.  Not a problem, I rearranged my plans and got tickets for a couple days out.  My other – and most pressing – concern was securing a spot to go cage-diving with Great whites.  Luckily one of the guys running the hostile was going the next day and he made all the bookings with a great discount.

All of that settled early, I decided to take a drive and head south to Cape Point.  It was much like the inverse of British Columbia’s sunshine coast.  Both have mountainous land rising steeply from the ocean, but while British Columbia’s land is covered in evergreen, this bitter end of Africa was sparse and desert-like.  But hot, and not any less beautiful.  The road snaked in and around, etched into the rock-side.

This was one of the few times that I felt only one thing was missing: a couple of good friends to enjoy the music and the scenery with.






South of Cape Town, the land juts out towards Antarctica for miles forming a long sharp peninsula. And naturally, at any point in the world similar to this, there will be an old vestige of the great days of sail – a lighthouse.




Somewhere, not far behind me is Antartica



Looking east, mountainous Africa fades into the distance, and somewhere just on the horizon is Hermanus, the most southern part of Africa.  My hope was that I might go in a couple of days, but luckily I was open to different plans.




I have a picture of it, but unfortunately it doesn’t carry as well in life.  What I’m talking about is something strange I saw in the water.  Looking closely, one could see huge arcing bands in the water, both from the east and from the west.  It reminded me of being on the Lion’s Gate Bridge in Vancouver and looking down at the water where the Fraser river meets the Pacific ocean.  There is a very distinct line and a huge color difference in the water.  I’m not read up on the phenomenon of oceans meeting, but my guess was that these huge arcs may have been the meeting of the south Atlantic and the Indian ocean.



From the lighthouse I trekked down to the beach to collect some water.  I have a sort of… eccentric hobby of collecting water from around the world.  I have water from the pacific, Atlantic, Mediterranean, the Khumbu icefall at Everest, the Ganges, the Arabian sea, the Mississippi…etc.  It is a strange thing to collect I suppose, because water is everywhere and is constantly moving, going other places and it isn’t really specific to the place where you encounter it.  However, it represents for me, an ephemeral moment.  I am likewise not specific to any of the places that I visit and so the instantaneous moment of meeting a part of the natural world that is at the same time from everywhere else, has for me, a little more meaning than a fridge magnet that was actually manufactured in China.  My body also is made up of pieces that have technically been on this planet, scattered, in one form or another for many millennia.  All those pieces have come together so that I may exist, and so too the meeting of myself with the natural world.  All of it has been travelling a long time, deteriorating and recombining in different combinations until I’m hunched down with a little bottle submerged in an ocean I have never before touched.

I always find it a bit inspiring to think that part of my fingernail may have once been part of a dinosaur, or one of the oxygen molecules in your lungs might have been breathed by Cleopatra.  It gives a whole new meaning to the question: Where have I been?

And plus, I’ve always had a penchant for small bottles and this gives me reason to satiate that harmless idiosyncrasy.   To hell with baseball cards.  No one else has this souvenir.



I trekked around the surrounding area and found a nice little perch.  I looked down as waves crashed up on rocks, the swells sucking back again to draw up power.






And at the bottom of the world, 
I watched rainbows in the spindrift, 
the spray shaved back from waves 
like sand from the blade of a dune in a great wind.  
And at a slow pulse, in each minute, 
with each wave, 
the blur sharpened with colors, 
scattering the light of the sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment