Friday, June 21, 2013

Conclusion: Wanderer Above the Bottom of the World

On my last full day, I enjoyed the time with two German girls I had met. We spent time at the Waterfront and in Camps Bay, just east of Cape Town.  It was a beautiful day and a great relaxing end.





It was not without a surprising and offensive discovery – a decorative sculpture just outside of a swanky jewelry store..



The inscription at the bottom reads “From mine to yours”.  It’s almost pointless to describe what is wrong with this picture.  I was simply astounded to find it and see it proudly displayed outside of a jewelry store.  Would have loved to meet the artist who executed the piece. . .



That evening, across the street from the beach in Camps Bay, the girls and I enjoyed one last meal together.  Our waiter was a miserable man who was clearly very upset.  The girls were peeved – he was ruining all our fun.  When he came over next I asked him what he would drink.  I ordered one and when he brought it over, I told him it was his and raised my drink to cheers him.  The miserable man smiled wide and took his shot and went skipping away.  The girls were beaming at me.  We had wonderful service for the rest of the night. . .



These street performers were ridiculous.  They deserve a couple of photos.  It was a bit like Cirque du Soleil happening on the street right in front of you.  They would run and jump at each other and end up in these incredible combinations.


























And finally, I retired for my last night in South Africa.  My flight on the day I was to leave was not until late in the evening, and so it was perfect for the last thing I wanted to do.  The girls and I climbed Table mountain.

Much like Vancouver's Grouse Grind, the hike was long and extremely hot.  But well worth it.  At the top, I turned and looked over all of C



ape Town, Robben Island, and south over the sea.  It was my nod to Casper David Friedrich and all the other painters of the Romantic era.  A wanderer above the bottom of the world: South Africa. . .



















No comments:

Post a Comment