Friday, June 21, 2013

Part III: Olifants; Do-It-Yourself Safari




Gearing up, I calculated how quickly I might be able to get to the Olifants Rest Camp. I'll be there in no time, I remember thinking.  I was coming down around this bend above at a good clip and just as I was rounding the bend an elephant started crossing the road.  I slammed on the breaks and he backed up, rearing high his trunk and sounding that screaming horn.

Needless to say, we scared the crap out of each other.

He eyed me from the bush and I marveled at the size, right here, before me.  I realized immediately this would be no quick jaunt to the Rest Camp.  We watched one another until he grew comfortable enough to go on and cross the road.



I rolled up next to him for a few more pictures and he tolerated me for only a few minutes. Then he faced me, held his ears out wide, reared his trunk again and told me to get lost.  He took a few quick steps towards me and that was enough persuasion.  Stick shift in hand, I speed shifted, as my father once taught me, and at a comfortable clip I was gone and let that elephant be.



It wasn't a mile or so before I came across a large troop of baboons.  This little one below was playing along side the road and took a few moments to regard me in a my red car.  They were a pretty feisty troop, a couple of them getting into fights every few minutes and starting up a racket that the whole troop took part in vocalizing.





Continuing to roll along at a slow pace, I came across this herd of elephants below.  They weren’t even a mile farther down the road.  I counted eleven, tightly packed together, all of them just standing, flapping their ears.  Major arteries run just under the skin behind those ears and so the flapping cools their blood.  These elephants were so tightly packed together that I wondered if maybe there were some young'uns in the center of the group.  A few more cars came along and stopped to take some photographs and made the elephants a little uncomfortable.  They turned to leave and as they did, my suspicion was confirmed. You can see one of the babes in the third photo.








The ubiquitous Impala.  These animals are absolutely everywhere (the proverbial African rabbit).  Naturally my enthusiasm to photograph them quickly waned.  At one point, however, about a week later, I saw a small stampede of impala and one jumped higher than I’ve ever seen any living thing jump.  It cleared a small tree, and just seemed to float in the air.  A school bus could have been in it’s way and it wouldn’t have had a problem.




At an intersection, a park service man pulled up next to me as I studied a map and offered to lead me to Olifants Camp when we realized we were going the same way.  He pointed out this mother hyena on the way. She keeps her brood in a small tunnel under the road.



All that by merely driving into the park...


The entrance to the Olifants Rest Camp was much like starting a tour at Jurassic Park:  A big wooden gate with torches and false elephant tusks jutting out on either side.  An extravagant affair, not really my style. 

My bungalow at Olifants Camp was a small circular structure with a thatch roof.  A neat little home with two beds and a bathroom and a small porch.  It even had air conditioning, believe it or not.  Hot water showers, even a full size refrigerator. 




Now if you stood just here where I was when I took this picture of the Bungalow, and then turned left, you’d see my view, just below:  African veld to the East, towards Mozambique.




Every morning I breakfasted at the Camp restaurant, perched up high on a cliff before the Olifant river facing south.  Each morning there, I took time to write, to read, and to watch.  Far below while I ate, the river did not appear to offer much more than what a casual glance could offer; but a pair of binoculars and patience led to the discovery of wonderful things hiding in plain sight.  All sorts of wildlife can be seen on the river.  Every morning I saw crocs, hippos, impala and many other kinds of animals at the water’s edge.



The one other thing I had booked in advance was a walking Safari.  But  it was to be much farther south in the Park and I had a few days to kill.  I did go on a couple game drives, letting someone else take over the steering wheel on a much larger open aired truck, but for the most part, Safari here was a matter of getting in your own car and just driving around – just making it up as you go, listening to rumors of sightings and getting to know the area.  That first day, after waking up in the Park, I set out to find some cats.   As I was looking for them, I came across the iconic African tree.  The road along side was a kind of back road in the park with very little traffic, the like of which I travelled on for most of my extemporaneous safari.  Main roads in the park, however, are all paved and wonderfully maintained, but relatively have a lot more traffic.



More impala.  They’re everywhere and they can certainly afford to lose a few family members to some cats.




Herd animals generally like to stay in open spaces for reasons of protection, however, these zebra seemed quite comfortable enclosed tightly by trees on each side.






I had come this way, having heard a rumor that large cats were in the area.  My confirmed proof is in the photo below.  These zebra were definitely in lion territory.  I came across cat tracks a dozen times that day, but alas, saw no cats.



Siblings posing nicely, eyeing me, wary of what I might do.  Nonetheless, they all let me get quite close while I was still in my car.  (It is illegal to get out of one’s car in the park, unless accompanied by an armed guard.)







Probably my favorite zebra picture below.  The black and white stripes popped nicely against the green foliage.




On a bridge crossing the wide olifants river I spotted one of the only crocs I’d see.  This was a rather small one, probably six or seven feet long.









Searching for cats on the back roads, I started to hear a strange kind of roar.  Not yet knowing what the strange moan-groan of a lion sounds like, I thought this roar might be a cat.  It came from the river and I pulled my fiat off the dirt road, into a gap in the brush and found a window to the river.  A hippo was defending it’s little grassy patch on the river, bellowing at a nearing neighbor. 




No cats on my first day going around on my own, but the day was not short of life…  I planned on going north the following day, knowing my family was probably wondering what had happened to me since I’d left North America several days prior.

No comments:

Post a Comment