Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Promised Pictures


This first picture is of myself and Sanjay Kulun, whom my last entry was about.  We are standing next to one of the sacred lakes of Gokyo, the tribute to which is just behind us on the right.




I took this picture from the summit of Gokyo Ri.  Gokyo is barely visible just below the center of the picture.  The glacier I crossed which I recounted in my last post is also fully visible, extending down the valley where I made my jump.  Two of Gokyo's sacred lakes are also visible.



Here I am with the giant bolder that signals Everest Base Camp.  Many people say that there isn't much to see at Everest Base Camp, however, a friend and I kept walking past this touristy boulder and eventually found a makeshift kitchen encampment (made out of stone) left over from the last season of Everest attempts.  The site also provided a nice view of the Khumbu Icefall where the real climb up Everest begins.





Atop Kala Patter, I'm standing with Mount Everest behind me (Everest is the darker pyramid shaped mountain closer to the middle of the photo.  Not the taller one off to the right, Nupste, which appears taller because of perspective.)  I was extremely fortunate while on the summit here because shortly after I finished the climb, the dozens of tourists already there headed down and I was completely alone with the view.  I spent about an hour drawing the mountain scape into my journal.

1 comment:

  1. you were drawing the mountainscape into your journal - that's awesome!i can't wait to see it! today i will be taking picture of some of the drawings i have done and putting them up on my blog and may be facebook. let me know what you think. second day in israel, getting myself oriented and tuned in: looking for work, transportation, connections. much to find here. going for a long walk as soon as i look at googlemap to see how i can walk to the sea. i got a bike here! i will be getting into that, so next time i see you, i will be ready to rock me you. i have been doing yoga with my mom and her husband, they started breathing again and i think i will be doing this with them daily when i'm here. its so good for them and for connection. got sneakers, will be going for a run. winter in the mediterrenean is beautiful, fresh and windy and sunny.

    ReplyDelete